Friday, April 29, 2011

Nibbles on Nipples

Since Miss T’s first tooth erupted at six months of age, I’ve been frequently asked, “How can you nurse now that your daughter has all those teeth?”  People still cringe when they find out that I’m “still breastfeeding” and stammer,  ”but what about all of those teeth?”  There are currently 16 of “those teeth” in her little mouth.

I did worry a little bit about what would happen once T had teeth, but I just trusted that it would all work out.  And it did.  And it does for every mom that I know. 

When T first acquired her teeth, her two front bottom teeth came in within days of each other, she did bite a little.  This was an entirely new experience for her and she didn’t know exactly what to do or not do.   She learned very quickly, though.  The few times she bit down, I yelped and then firmly said “no” and put her down.  After a few times of that, she quickly caught on and that was it. 

Now that Miss T is a toddler, she sometimes will bite down to get my attention.  She knows exactly what she’s doing and has a mischievous grin on her face as she does it and gauges my reaction.  Again, I tell her “No” and take her off of my breast and put her down somewhere else. 

On a day to day basis, her teeth are not an issue at all and never have been.  She’s more than able to suck without using her teeth and our breastfeeding sessions remain as enjoyable as ever. 

So for any mamas out there who are hesitating to breastfeed beyond infancy because they’re worried about those teeth, let me put your fears to rest.  It’s practically a non-issue and the rewards of nursing a toddler FAR outweigh the possible little nibbles on your nipples, which may or may not happen.  


1 comment:

  1. My son is 5 months old and has had teeth sine 2.5 months. The teeth are a none issue. There are those moments, and it is hard to teach a 3 month old, but the benifits outweigh anything he can do at the breast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.